tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Wentzel <Michael.Went...@aswethink.com>
Subject RE: Dynamically Generate PDF
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:24:51 GMT
> I've tried to do this with jsp (without succes), but with a
> servlet it can be done quite easy:
> 	Use tex->dvi->ps->pdf (where tex is a TeX document, (LaTeX))
> 	(maybe it can be done even easier...)
> If someone knows how i could do this with jsp, (read tex with
> taglibs) i'm eager to know it)

This is a restrictive option.  It's much better to use one of the
many XML/XSL based packages and generate from there.  In this way
you can extend the document definitions as needed which with TeX/LaTeX
is possible but not the preferable solution in my book.

Commercial
----------
PageLayout - http://www.sitraka.com

Open Source
-----------
iText - http://www.lowagie.com/iText/
FOP - http://www.xml.apache.org

Other
-----
General Info/Links - http://www.planetpdf.com/mainpage.asp?WebPageID=450

> p.s.	It would be handy to cache the results ;p

That could of course be easily done using a static java.util.Map and a
unique id for each unique doc generated.

---
Michael Wentzel
Software Developer
Software As We Think - http://www.aswethink.com