tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Todd Sussman" <to...@careonnet.com>
Subject RE: AGAIN: Does Apache worth it?
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 10:14:29 GMT
Pete is correct.  We could see the difference when running Tomcat and
Apache instead of Tomcat as a stand alone.  We only average 25
concurrent users and Tomcat could have been okay, but why settle for
okay?  Our HTML pages are fairly large due to intense graphics, this is
why we use Apache.  On a side note we run on a Windows 2000 Server, and
have found Apache to be quicker than IIS 5.0 as well.

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: pete [mailto:pete@claudia.dyn.dhs.org]
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 12:10 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: AGAIN: Does Apache worth it?

I find Apache with Tomcat to feel noticeably faster. I have no pure HTML

pages at all, just JSPs calling backend classes.

This is simply due to the fact that Apache serves images faster, i would

think.

Since my pages contain, on average at least 5 static GIFs/JPGs, this is
a lot fewer requests for tomcat to process.

I recommend Apache/Tomcat integration for any production setup, though
standalone tomcat will perform just fine during the development process.

Also, if you have missed traffic on the list, why not check the archives

on jakarta.apache.org instead of reposting?

-Pete