tomcat-users mailing list archives

From William Kaufman <WKauf...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Setting Tomcat HTTP Request Timeout
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:16:48 GMT
Tomcat isn't timing out--your browser is.  It gives up if it doesn't get a
response from the server in a certain amount of time.  And I don't think you
can change that setting on any browser I've seen.

You could try calling ServletOutputStream.flush() each time you write data:
hopefully, that will tell the browser that you're working on it.  But,
depending on your server configuration, the data might still get bufferred,
and flush() might not actually flush any data.

The only useful answer is, Don't make a servlet that takes that long.
Profile your code, calculate things ahead of time, cache results, split up
the page, do work in multiple threads, all the standard speed-up things.

                                        -- Bill K.