tomcat-users mailing list archives

From William Kaufman <WKauf...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Killing endless loop servlet - howto ? killing JVM or unload class ?
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 14:11:34 GMT
OK, no one's answered this yet, so,...

> First, I don't know if it's killing a thread is the right approach. Should
I do that, without shutdown Tomcat ?

So, why are you creating an infinite loop?  I mean, if you didn't, you
wouldn't have to kill it.

If you're generally asking how one can kill threads in Java, you could use
java.lang.Thread.stop() (but read the deprecation warning).  But as a rule,
not creating infinite loops is a much better strategy.

> Is there a way to set a 'time-out' for a Servlet ?

Not the way you mean.  You can set a timeout for a session (by modifying
your web.xml); but AFAIK, the only way to set a timeout for a request would
be on your browser.

                                        -- Bill K.