tomcat-users mailing list archives

From be...@bellatlantic.net
Subject Getting the values of <context-param>s defined in web.xml ??
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:35:24 GMT

    I set up a servlet web.xml based on the sample web.xml provided with
the Tomcat 3.2.2 distribution.  I left in the example definition of the
<context-param> ( shown below ).  I added code (shown below) to the
servlet to print the names of all <context-param>s.  I didn't see any of
the <context-params> I added to my web.xml and I didn't see the example
either. I should point out that defining <init-params> on a per servlet
basis worked as described and is my current work-around.

    Adding to the confusion is the example in the Tomcat 3.2.2 web.xml.
The example says:
"The values actually assigned to these (<context-param>) parameters can
be retrieved in a servlet or JSP page by calling:"
    String value = getServletContext().getInitParameter("name");
However, the javax.servlet.ServletContext interface does not have
getInitParam( String ) method.  And, to add to the confusion, there IS a
getInitParam ( String) method in the javax.servlet.ServletConfig
interface.

    Since this sort of thing is done all of the time I'm sure I'm just
missing something really simple but after several hours of trying
everything I can think of I still can't get those damned
<context-params>.  Can anyone shed some light on this situation?
   .

    Thanks in advance,
    --beeky

    Typical <context-param> definition in web.xml from Tomcat:
        <web-app>
            <context-param>
              <param-name>webmaster</param-name>
              <param-value>myaddress@mycompany.com</param-value>
            </context-param>

            <!-- all other web.xml contents omitted -->

        </web-app>

    Servlet code to print <context-param> names:
      Enumeration contextParams =
getServletConfig().getInitParameterNames() ;
      while ( contextParams.hasMoreElements()) {
       String p = (String)contextParams.nextElement() ;
       System.out.println( "config param=" + p);
      }

    I also tried:
      Enumeration contextParams =
getServletContext().getAttributeNames() ;
      while ( contextParams.hasMoreElements()) {
           String p = (String)contextParams.nextElement() ;
           System.out.println( "contextParams param=" + p);
          }