tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David White <whitedav...@home.com>
Subject Is <jsp:xxx> "Reserved"?
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:03:59 GMT
I am rather new to JSP. However, I note that many standard jsp
commands are XML elements that begin with (are in the namespace?)
"jsp:".

What I have found is that Tomcat seems to not reserve this prefix
(namespace?) for use by the jsp engine. For example: I can delcare
a taglib and give it the prefix "jsp" and get no complaints. I am not
sure what will happen but it seems confusing at best, tramatic at worst.

Also, if I screw up and enter <jsp:incude> instead of <jsp:include>,
Tomcat does not complain or find any error. It simply takes the data
and places it on the servlets output. This seems to be little help
either.

I have looked at the current JSP spec and find nothing on this one way
or the other. It would seem a minor imposition to require that the
prefix
"jsp" be reserved and that the allowed commands within that prefix to
be enforced by Tomcat.

Tomcat complains when I screw up on the use of an explicitly declared
tag library element. It complains if I forget to provide a required
attribute
to either a valid jsp:xxx command or a declared tag library command.

I am wrong to expect the behaviors that I do not see?

Thanks,

David