tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Howler D. Wolfe" <how...@bigbadwolf.org>
Subject Re: Problems with a simple JSP and mySQL connect
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:41:31 GMT
I have data in this table as follows

HOST USER PW PRIVS (shortened to save space)
-----------+-------------+-----------+---------------
localhost root 9999 All are set to 'Y'
larry root (empty) All are set to 'Y'
localhost (empty) (empty) All are set to 'N'
larry (empty) (empty) All are set to 'N'
localhost howler 9999 All are set to 'Y'

Not sure whats going on with this or what exactly should be here.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks
John Brosan

Simon Chan wrote:

> Please check your mysql.user table to make sure that your client machine is in the host
field.

> skc
>
> "Howler D. Wolfe" wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I apologize if this has been answered in a previous post. I've been digging through
old posts and
>> and searching on the net for an answer to this problem.
>>
>> I am runnin Tomcat 3.2.2 and Apache 1.3.19 and MySQL (I think the latest version).
 I am able to
>> run the examples without a hitch. I am new to Java, JSP and MySQL, I have created
a database with
>> two tables, when I try to use the MySQL driver to connect to the database I get the
following error.

>> I think I get this error because I don't have a user other than root setup on MySQL.
In my searching
>> for an answer, I read about using the URL of the MySQL db as part of getConnection().
 I tried this
>> and it failed due to the MySQL port not being open on my firewall. After I opened
the appropriate
>> port, I got the same error.
>>
>> What have I failed to do when setting up MySQL? I've installed it, ran the grants,
I think I've done