tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Howler D. Wolfe" <how...@bigbadwolf.org>
Subject Problems with a simple JSP and mySQL connect
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:19:02 GMT

Hello Everyone,

I apologize if this has been answered in a previous post. I've been digging through old posts
and
and searching on the net for an answer to this problem.

I am runnin Tomcat 3.2.2 and Apache 1.3.19 and MySQL (I think the latest version).  I am able
run the examples without a hitch. I am new to Java, JSP and MySQL, I have created a database
with
two tables, when I try to use the MySQL driver to connect to the database I get the following
error.

I think I get this error because I don't have a user other than root setup on MySQL. In my
searching
for an answer, I read about using the URL of the MySQL db as part of getConnection().  I tried
this
and it failed due to the MySQL port not being open on my firewall. After I opened the appropriate

port, I got the same error.

What have I failed to do when setting up MySQL? I've installed it, ran the grants, I think
I've done
what was supposed to be done.

I've used the user id of "root" with the password I set for it.

Partial Error Text follows:
*
java.sql.SQLException: Server configuration denies access to data source*

Thanks in advance
John Brosan