tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nilanjan Das <nilan...@india.hp.com>
Subject Regarding tomcat installation on HP-UX
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:07:04 GMT
Hi Gurus,

I am new to this and is not having much info on this.

I have installed tomcat module 3.2.2 on our HP-UX server. The
installation seems to be ok as I can access the basic html pages through
the browser. I can even execute the servlet that is part of the
installation. The path is

http://<server_name>:8080/examples/servlet/HelloWorldExample

The class path for this servlet is on

/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes

I can also excute any other servlet as long as I keep the class file in
the above path.

But I want to personalise the "URL" path as per the user name. What I
mean is that
I want to keep my class files under my working directory and I should be
able to access it as

http://<server_name>:8088/servlet/HelloWorldExample

But unfortunately it fails and give me the error

Not Found (404)

Original request: /nilanjan/servlet/HelloWorldExample

Not found request: /nilanjan/servlet/HelloWorldExample

What I did was like this? I created a directory as "nilanjan" under
/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/webapps and then copy all the files under
"examples" to this directory. By copy I mean that I even copied the
directory "WEB-INF" etc too  and then start the server again. When
starting up
it shows the context "/nilanjan". Infact I can browse anything under
"http://<server_name>:8088/nilanjan" this except running the servlets.

What I feel is that there should be some configuration files where there
should be a path mapping, like when I give

"http://8088<server_name>:8088/examples/servelet/<class file>", it
basically looks
into /tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes
directory.

But in case of "nilanjan" it is not happening.

So, can anyone of you please help me out. I looked into the
configuration files "server.xml","web.xml" but could not make out much
except adding a new context in the "server.xml".

Thanks for all your help. Please let me know if you need any other info.

Cheers,
Nilanjan