tomcat-users mailing list archives

From pete <p...@claudia.dyn.dhs.org>
Subject Re: Performance problem with Tomcat 3.2 on NT
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2001 22:36:14 GMT
For a start, you may need to increase the java heap size allocated at
JVM startup by using the java -mx32000k  flag. You may want to increase
this even further, up to -mx128000k if necessary. However, if you are
running out of RAM while testing, imagine your situation when 100
concurrent users are trying to do the same thing at the same time.

An XML DOM tree can bloat to over 10 times the size of it's text
representation when a tree is built by a parser, and if you are dealing
with many megabytes of XML, you many be forced to look at breaking your
document into smaller chunks for DOM-style processing, or to SAX-parse,
which doesn't build any huge trees in RAM.

I use the SAX-parsing approach, which is very fast, and is perfect for
my purposes. However, it doesn't give you the 'live XML document'
paradigm that DOM is so good for - i.e. being able to add, modify and
delete nodes with ease, then write (serialise?) the structure back out
to text.

Java does seem to have issues handling huge DOMs. Anyone else have any
other tips?

-Pete