tomcat-users mailing list archives

From The Anenome <bry...@ilm.com>
Subject getRemoteUser or getUserPrincipal??
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2001 23:43:21 GMT
Our camp has been using Tomcat 3.1 in the past.  Recently, we have been
trying to migrate to Tomcat 3.3m4.  It seems that in the past, if we use
Apache basic authentication, and forwarded the request via Ajp12 to
tomcat, the HttpServletRequest.getUserPrincipal().getName() returned the
authenticated user.  Now, using the same code, getUserPrincipal()
returns null, however, HttpServletRequest.getRemoteUser() returns the
authenticated username.  Can anyone explain to me the difference between
these two methods, and which one we can reliable count on?

Thanks,

Bryan