tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bo Xu ...@cybershop.ca>
Subject Re: [tomcat-user] how to use generic servlets
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 14:10:32 GMT
Hi :-)  I found a email in Servlet-List about this topic:

Gokul Singh wrote:

> Servlets were orignally envisaged to be a server side programming API for
> almost all protocols and as a special case, support was provided in the API
> for HTTP.

Actually, servlets were originally envisaged to be HTTP-specific
(everything in one package) but before public release they decided to
try for a protocol-neutral base, and split out the packages.  Later it
was decided, for various reasons, to continue to concentrate on HTTP.

> That is why we have the javax.servlet and javax.servlet.http package.
> I just wanted to know, at which stage did SUN realize that the architechture
> defined for Servlets is suitable only for HTTP, as this point is mentioned
> in the specification version 2.1
> <quote from 2.1>
> The request-response paradigm is modeled on the behavior of the HyperText
> Transfer Protocol (HTTP).
> </quote from 2.1>

Servlets are suitable for more.  In fact there's a new JSR now for SIP
servlets.  But the focus has been and continues to be on HTTP.

-jh-

Bo
July 02, 2001