tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Crooke <d...@convio.com>
Subject Re: Does Apache worth it?
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2001 19:39:44 GMT
The built in webserver in a Java appserver is really only suitable for testing
with - if you are serving more than a few thousand pages per day, or doing
anything remotely serious for production use, or your server is on the internet,
you should use a "real" webserver in front of Tomcat, and Apache is the one of
choice.

Principal reasons are:

Performance - Apache is much faster at handling connections and doing basic
processing on URLs; it's IO is well optimised (the only thing that beats it is a
kernel-space websever like khttpd or Tux) You can also get it to serve any bits
of purely static content, such as image files, taking some load off the Java
layer. Finally, you can more easily multiplex across multiple Java VM's on
multiple boxes, for scalability and redundancy.

Configurability - Apache is very powerful and flexible as far as configuration
is concerned, and can handle all kinds of complex multi-site hosting issues.

Security - Apache has been used on the internet for years by many, many sites,
and has withstood all kinds of attacks; most of the vulnerabilities in it have
been found and eliminated. By contrast, Tomcat's built in server has not had
this level of robust testing. By avoiding the need to connect Tomcat directly to
port 80/443, Apache provides an additional layer of insulation between your
appserver and the bad guys.