tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Davison <pdavi...@channelwave.com>
Subject Re: creating a instance of a servlet: takes too long!!
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2001 14:16:05 GMT
There's another reason for this and it has to do with the java.security.SecureRandom class.
>From what I can tell, tomcat uses this class to generate a seed value for the
session ID.  The first request for a SecureRandom value (eg. new SecureRandom().nextLong())
can take many, many seconds to complete.  After the
first usage however, it returns immediately.  I'm not sure what goes on when
SecureRandom initializes but that seems to be where the slow down occurs.

As a work around, you could create a low priority thread that instantiates a
SecureRandom calls nextLong() then exits, and have this thread get launched by
the init() method of a servlet that gets preloaded.  This solution worked for me.

Regards,
Pete.

Thus spake "pedro salazar" <pedro-b-salazar@ptinovacao.pt> on Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:01:37
+0100: