tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Boris Niyazov <niya...@solni.law.columbia.edu>
Subject RE:TOMCAT LOG FILE BEHAVIOUR
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 22:46:41 GMT
It's a feature. I'm not sure what you can do on NT but on unix we have written a
script that moves all logs in an archive and then restarts tomcat. You may want
to modify your tomcat startup.bat script to add this functionality.

* Boris Niyazov                Ph:  212-854-4094  Fax: 212-854-1749 *
* Systems Manager              Email: ban5@columbia.edu             *
* Columbia Law School          URL: http://www.law.columbia.edu     *

>Hi,
>
>(Tomcat 3.2.1, Windows 2000, JDK 1.3.1)
>
>Does anyone know what the behaviour of log files is in Tomcat?
>
>I have noticed that each time that Tomcat is restarted, the log files get
>wiped clean.
>
>What happens if I have Tomcat running as a NT service? Do the files get
>wiped after a certain time period or do they just grow and grow until the
>files reach some maximum size. If so what happens then?
>
>What advice would you give me on how to setup the logfiles for Tomcat
>running as an NT service.
>
>I have not seen any information about this in the documentation or any
>relevant information in the archives.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Tim.
>

>This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is
the property of the Cap Gemini Ernst & Young Group. It is intended only for the
person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use
this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.