tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "D. Jay Newman" <...@sprucegrove.com>
Subject Re: [tomcat-user] how to use generic servlets
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 13:45:04 GMT
> Am Montag,  2. Juli 2001 03:59 schrieben erhelltest du mich hiermit:
>
> > I have just gotten though enough of the Servlet 2.3 specs, and while
> > a servlet *must* implement the HTTP protocol, it can also implement
> > other protocols.
>
> are you sure you read correctly? if you mean the piece im reading,
> which is:
> SRV 1.2:
> All servlet _/containers/_ must support HTTP as a protocol for requests
> and responses, but additional request/response based protocols [...]
> may be supported.
>
> The servlet *container* is tomcat, so my servlet would not be required
> to support http.
>
> ok, ill read again, i prolly just got it wrong =)

You are absolutely correct. Servlet *Containers* (such as Tomcat) must
implement HTTP.

Servlets can do pretty whatever the heck they want.  :)

This shows that I shouldn't make posts too late at night.

I am still volunteering to write a connector-without-protocol if this isn't
being done.
--
D. Jay Newman                   ! For the pleasure and the profit it derives
jay@sprucegrove.com              ! I arrange things, like furniture, and