tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <oham...@tr.net>
Subject RE: Character Encoding Problem
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 09:24:33 GMT
Hi,

  Another problem related with the charset type is when I use the following code

  strErrorMsg = "a message using ISO-8859-9";
  <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" Name="errormsg"
         VALUE="<=strErrorMsg>">

and post the form, the receiving jsp file does not print the
strErroMsg variable correctly.

How can this problem be solved?

Thanks,

Oner Necip Hamali.

> Kimden: <atumer@tr.net>
> Tarih: 2001/07/02 Mon PM 12:16:03 GMT+03:00
> Kime: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Konu: İlgi:RE: Character Encoding Problem
>
> > Kimden: Tõnu Põld <Tonu.Poeld@andmevara.ee>
> > Tarih: 2001/07/02 Mon AM 10:48:10 GMT+03:00
> > Kime: "'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Konu: RE: Character Encoding Problem
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > You should compile the java classes with ISO-8859-9 encoding.
> > Look at the -encoding flag of the 'javac' compiler.
> >
> > In compilation the 8-byte characters in strings are converted to unicode
> > characters.
> > By default the encoding is probably ISO-8859-1.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tõnu
> >

> I tried, a few minutes ago, but the problem remains. I don't
> know the usage of -encoding parameter in detail but,
> I think it is related with the string constants in the
> source files. The main problem is the encoding when I read
> a text file and show its contents in the jsp with something like,
>
> <%= FileReader.readLine() %>
>
> And as I mentioned, when I load a file and write it into another file, the encoding is
correct. The result of my string manipulation functions are correct. The single, devastating,
problem occurs when I pass a string with characters in ISO-8859-9, from a class to jsp.

strings. As far as I know when <%@ include.. is used the file is statically included,
> at compile time, but <jsp:include.. may include the file dynamically after compilation.
Also the string constants in jsp files are compiled, but strings read from files are