tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nivedan Nadraj <>
Subject Re: Does Apache worth it?
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2001 19:18:45 GMT
Hi Eitan,

  Apache as far as I know is a powerful full blown
HTTP server. Tomcat is also a webserver and as you
already know it supports servlets and JSP's.
  The internals of how Tomcat and apache differ I do
not know. But from the docs I guess it's the divide
and rule policy. Anyting related to static it is
directed to Apache since it is a proven and powerful
HTTP service and when it is servlets or JSP it is
redirected to Tomcat.
  Basic developement we can use Tomcat I guess for
production it is better to use Apache to serve the
static files. There is more to it...this is my part.

--- Eitan Ben Noach <> wrote:
> Hello all,
> We are intending to use Apache & Tomcat as web
> server in our product,
> and preliminary experiments show excellent
> performance.
> Most of our web pages are JSPs and servlets, and few
> HTMLs and Gifs.
> We wonder what is the contribution of Apache in our
> scenario - some of us
> think that Tomcat standalone is enough.
> Is there any advantage of using Apache and not
> Tomcat standalone?
> We will appreciate any contributing input.
> Thanks,
> Eitan Ben-Noach
> Proficiency, Ltd.
> Tel: +972.2.548.0287
> Fax: +972.2.586.3871
> email:
> The Intelligence in Engineering Supply Chain
> Collaboration
> <>

Do You Yahoo!?