tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Emir Alikadic (ADNOC IS&T)" <ealika...@adnoc.com>
Subject RE: Installing tomcat on Win98 2nd Ed.
Date Sun, 29 Jul 2001 07:09:01 GMT

Read the page where you downloaded this file from
(http://httpd.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/). I'll quote the
relevant para here for your convenience (pay particular atte ntion to the
last sentence):

"The Apache httpd Project is working to minimize your download times. With
the arrival of version 1.3.17 of Apache, we distribute the Apache httpd
Server in an MSI package. This should resolve problems that Windows ME users
had with the older installer, and minimizes the download time. However, only
Windows ME and 2000 users have built-in MSI support with the installation of
Windows. Users of Windows NT 4.0, 95 and 98 must download the MSI installer,
if it was not already installed by another product's installation."

> When i try to unzip the "jakarta-tomcat-3.1.1.zip" on
> the C: drive, it gave me an error saying that I don't
> have the access rights to the drive or something.

There are no user restrictions and hence no access rights on Windows 98, you
must've misunderstood the error.  Please quote the exact error here for
further analysis.

> Does anybody know what these errors are all about? And
> does anybody have any recommendations on what versions
> of the servers is best on Win 98? And anything
> (requirements) I need to know when i install the above
> servers onto my computer?

I strongly recommend you use a proper server-class OS for Tomcat/Apache
installation instaed of Win98, for a myriad of reasons like security,
reliability, and networking capabilities.  There are several free *NIX-like
OS, such as Linux and the BSD family, and you can also use WinNT 4.0 or
Win2000.

> I am a new user of tomcat-apache so any info will
> help. Thanks.
>
> Marcus

Cheers!

Emir.