tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Kilbride" <j...@kilbride.com>
Subject Re: How to forward with new request/query string?
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:59:28 GMT
Hi Erin,

You can't change the original request (at least, I don't think you
can...) -- but you can add info to the request before forwarding it on to
your jsp page. Just add the extra info to the query string of the jsp your
forwarding to:

String location = "myForward.jsp?foo=bar&baz=1";
RequestDispatcher rd = request.getRequestDispatcher(location);
rd.forward(request, response);

The parameters foo and baz will now be available in myForward.jsp, along
with all the original request params. If foo and baz exist in the original
request, calling request.getParameter() will return the newly set value and
calling request.getParameterValues() will return all values for that
parameter.

You can also store info in the request object using setAttribute() and
retrieve them in the jsp by using getAttribute():

(in servlet)
request.setAttribute("key", value);

(in jsp -- if the value is a String object)
String value = (String)request.getAttribute("key");

Notice that you have to cast the object back to the correct type in your
jsp.

Hope this helps.

--jeff