tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nils O. Selåsdal" <>
Subject Re: Too many process?
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:09:30 GMT
On Friday 20 July 2001 09:04, Sumith Ail wrote:
> Hi Friends,
> Please excuse me if this question has been asked on this list a number of
> times.I am trying to install Tomcat 3.2.2 from RPM on RH Linux 6.2 using
> j2sdk 1.2.2 FCS from I am able to start tomcat but it starts
> a lot of java process immediately without even anybody accessing the Tomcat
> server.
> [root@leo /root]#pstree | grep java
>  |-java---java---39*[java]
> Is this how it should behave or am I missing something.
Yes, assuming you use native threads. What you see is threads, which the
linux kernel view as an ordinaery process. Thoug , they all share the same
memory space.
Java it self uses a few threads on startup, one for the garbage collector,
finalizer e.t.c. And tomcat start a number of threads, some go into a thread
pool for faster response.

Nils O. Selåsdal

View raw message