tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dmitri Colebatch <...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: Killing endless loop servlet - howto ? killing JVM or unload class ?
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2001 07:41:04 GMT
On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:28, you wrote:
> I thought the problem with threads was that you actually _cannot_ kill
> them, even "in Java". I find this stupid, and hope I'm wrong! But
> apparently you can only "ask" the thread to interrupt and check for status
> by using the thread.interrupt(), and isInterrupted() inside the thread.
The purpose of this is to force a two-phase termination, and give the thread
a chance to clean up... its up to the thread programmer to be aware of any
requests for interruption.  When you say you can only "ask", you are correct.
 I dont see why this prohibits my earlier suggestion though...

cheers
dim