tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dmitri Colebatch <...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: [tomcat-user] how to use generic servlets
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 02:04:07 GMT
On Mon,  2 Jul 2001 11:40, you wrote:
> I'm glad you think so. I can use all the help I can get.  :)
I think I'd be leading you astray if I left you thinking that there's much
chance I'd find time to actually do anything )o:  much as I'd love to get my
feet wet, there's barely enough time in the day to sleep as it is )o:

> Well, I'm just looking at sending XML messages back and forth. This could
> easily be encapsulated into the HTTP protocol, but I don't see any reason
> to make things more difficult than that are already.
more difficult for your client you mean?  At the server I would see it being
simpler implementing it as a servlet.  If java.net.HttpURLConnection worked
it'd be easy from the client too (o:  I'd have thought that it'd be simpler
to do it as XML/HTTP and then implement something on the client (which you'd
have to do to some degree anyway).  I'm also pretty sure you can find some
nice client side http connection libs out there.

> I've looked at the code of the connectors and such in Tomcat 4.0b5 and
> found that they are very tightly tied to HTTP.
I think I now see what you're saying about implementing it now.

Different approach though...  Why not SOAP?  I'm assuming there's a good
reason why this isn't appropriate.

cheers
dim