tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Somik Raha" <>
Subject Out of Memory error - Tomcat 3.2.1
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 02:17:10 GMT
    I am using Tomcat 3.2.1 with Apache.
    I find a strange phenomenon - whenever an http request is made, a tomcat thread is created.
But when the servlet finishes, the thread is not destroyed. This results in a big problem
- after sometime, an OutOfMemory exception is thrown  - with the message "Unable to create
Native Thread".
    Doing "pstree -ap" shows more than a thousand threads under the tomcat process (there
are only a few servlets).  I have checked my servlets, none of them have threads that dont
    I checked the Tomcat page, and it says I ought to upgrade to 3.2.3, as there are a lot
of performance fixes. Is this one of them ?
    I want to make sure this is the problem, or the problem lies elsewhere..

    Will appreciate help on this issue.

Somik Raha
R&D Team
Kizna Corporation