tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "pedro salazar" <pedro-b-sala...@ptinovacao.pt>
Subject creating a instance of a servlet: takes too long!!
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2001 09:01:37 GMT
Greetings,

why is that my servlet when the first time is invoked, it takes about 30
seconds or more to start when the servlets that came in tomcat are
instantaneous? After the servlet container instantiated and initialized my
servlet, all the following requests are very fast. Is there any advice for
what we should do and don't do in init() method? I just initialize some
properties and a connection pool....
Well is it possible that my servlet container at any time my may shutdown my
servlet to release memory, and another time it will be requested to start
again and take another time too long to start, correct?

How can I benchmark the time of instantiation of my servlet and the time of
my init method?

System configuration:
-Tomcat 3.2.1
-JDK 1.3