tomcat-users mailing list archives

From grégoire nogier <nog...@free.fr>
Subject How to ensure Tomcat to load multiple instances of a servlet, to handle simultaneously multiple request ?
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:41:18 GMT
How to ensure Tomcat to load multiple instances of a servlet, to handle
simultaneously multiple request ?

I'v developed a servlet application in tomcat/apache, on NT.
I tried a very simple load test :
   - 1) from a first pc, I send a request which neeed a very long database
access (3 minutes),
   - 2) from another pc, I send a very simple request (which should be
traited immediately)
   => the result is that the second request wait 3 minutes before receiving
its response. The requests are served the one after the other.

I'm not sure to understand how tomcat works, but I imagined that it should
be possible to load multiple servlet process, to handle 20 request
simultaneously.
It seems not.

- should I duplicate the servlet in the file web.xml ?
- should I duplicate the servlet context ?
- should I define more workers ? (how to ?)
- should I use some other connector, or RequestInterceptor ?

Here is a short description of the configuration used :
- tomcat-v3.2.2, apache-v1.3
- the Servlet implements SinglethreadModel,
- the file : mod_jk.conf mount the servlet-path with the ajp13 worker,
- the file : server.xml defines a PoolTcpConnector Ajp13ConnectionHandler
(parameters are: max_threads=50, max_spare_threads=25,
min_spare_threads=10),
- the file : workers.properties defines two workers
(worker.list=ajp13,loadbalancer)
- the file : web.xml defines two servlet (only one seems to be used...)

I need some help !

Gregoire Nogier