tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Swart, James (Jim) ** CTR **" <>
Subject RE: About GET and POST methods
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:51:13 GMT
as far as I know, if you are going to send information to a servlet from a
input form (html or jsp) you have to use a GET when invoking the servlet? At
least, that's how mine are developed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rainer Schweigkoffer []
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 7:07 AM
Subject: About GET and POST methods

Hi folks !

Being a newbie concerning the use of Tomcat I am marvelling about the
following :

On SunOS 5.8 I have installed Tomcat 3.2.1 connected to Apache 1.3.19
via with both an AJP12 (port 8007) and an AJP13 (port 8009)
handler installed.

The Apache Server is listening on ports 80, 1080, 2080 and 8080, while,
for test purposes, I added a Tomcat Http Connection handler on
port 7080.

Now, we have written a test servlet with differing doGet and doPost
methods and an HTML page containing a form that uses method POST, and
we observe the following behaviour :

o When defining the form's action to directly invoke the servlet via
  Tomcat on port 7080, method doPost is invoked,

o however, when defining action to invoke the servlet via Apache
  on one of the other ports mentioned above, always method doGet
  is invoked.

Is there any explanation for that - at least to me - surprising
behaviour ? Did I overlook anything ? Or is it intended to work
that way ?

Thank you very much for your kind assistance

All statements above reflect my personal opinion only.  Speaking for my
company is highly above my salary.

View raw message