tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Swart, James (Jim) ** CTR **" <swa...@agere.com>
Subject RE: About GET and POST methods
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:51:13 GMT
as far as I know, if you are going to send information to a servlet from a
input form (html or jsp) you have to use a GET when invoking the servlet? At
least, that's how mine are developed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rainer Schweigkoffer [mailto:kwesi@sap.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 7:07 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: About GET and POST methods

Hi folks !

Being a newbie concerning the use of Tomcat I am marvelling about the
following :

On SunOS 5.8 I have installed Tomcat 3.2.1 connected to Apache 1.3.19
via mod_jk.so with both an AJP12 (port 8007) and an AJP13 (port 8009)
handler installed.

The Apache Server is listening on ports 80, 1080, 2080 and 8080, while,
for test purposes, I added a Tomcat Http Connection handler on
port 7080.

Now, we have written a test servlet with differing doGet and doPost
methods and an HTML page containing a form that uses method POST, and
we observe the following behaviour :

o When defining the form's action to directly invoke the servlet via
  Tomcat on port 7080, method doPost is invoked,

o however, when defining action to invoke the servlet via Apache
  on one of the other ports mentioned above, always method doGet
  is invoked.

Is there any explanation for that - at least to me - surprising
behaviour ? Did I overlook anything ? Or is it intended to work
that way ?

Thank you very much for your kind assistance
Rainer

------
All statements above reflect my personal opinion only.  Speaking for my
company is highly above my salary.