tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Todd Sussman" <to...@careonnet.com>
Subject RE: IIS and Tomcat
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2001 06:35:45 GMT
The messages show you are running IIS as the webserver and it is
redirecting the servlets to tomcat.  When you shutdown tomcat, IIS can
no longer redirect the servlets to tomcat and therefor you get an error.
I have never set Tomcat as a stand alone server, but it can be done.

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Faulkner [mailto:chris_faulkner@anytimenow.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 12:50 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: IIS and Tomcat

Hi

I am just trying to get my servlets tested on IIS (windows 2000) and
Tomcat.
I have done all the set-up steps, the isapi_redirect stuff seems to be
functioning. I have IIS on W2K with Tomcat 3.2.2 and JDK 1.3.0_02. IIS
is on
the usual port 80.

If I start up "tomcat run", tomcat starts and initialises everything
(IIS is
also running at this time)

http://localhost:8080/examples/servlet/SnoopServlet

I can see that its coming from Tomcat.

If I hit

http://localhost/examples/servlet/SnoopServlet

This also works and it tells me that the port is 80 and the server is
Tomcat. However, I know that the port 80 is being served by IIS and I
can
see the request in the IIS logs, being redirected to
/jakarta/isapi_redirect.dll. Why is it telling me that the web server is
Tomcat ?

So it all looks good, except that if I do a "tomcat stop", then the
servlet
requests to IIS start to fail. Is this expected ? If so, can I run
tomcat
without opening up that 8080 port ? Maybe I'm a bit confused  but I'd
like
to have tomcat managing my servlets without essentially having a second
web
server running.

Secondly, how do I get a jar loaded and get access to the classes within
that jar ? Where do I put it and how can classes in it be aliased ?

Thirdly, and probably related, how can I use the <servlet> tag in my
.shtml
web pages. I was using Apache JSSI previously.

Thanks very much

Chris Faulkner