tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Kirk <christopher.k...@convergys.com>
Subject RE: Aw: Finding a Memory Leak in a Web Application
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2001 08:12:28 GMT

Try using HAT (Heap Analysis Tool), you can download it from Sun. It allows
you to take snap shots of the heap at run time and exports it as HTML
pages.. letting you see just how many objects, and of what types have been
created.

- Chris.

Brainbench MVP Java2

I think my application is leaking. Over time the size of the Java process
grows but never shrinks back down.

I'm not sure of the best way to find the leak. I can't afford expensive
profiling tools like OptimizeIt, etc...

It may be something as simple as a design flaw on my part... Here's my
design:

requests come into a servlet which creates vectors of objects from database
data. These vectors are stored in the request scope and then I forward to a
JSP page where the results are displayed from the Vectors.

I assumed (incorrectly?) that since they were in the request scope they
would be garbage collected after the request was over (which is when the
page has been sent to the user, right?). Is this not the case?

Any help/suggestions anyone has would be great!

Hunter

--

NOTICE:  The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
intended by Convergys Corporation for the use of the named individual or