tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Clark Naldoza y Lopez <njcl...@ntsp.nec.co.jp>
Subject Re: Tomcat 3.2.2 Install problems
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2001 01:20:58 GMT
"Howler D. Wolfe" wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Sorry for reposting this...but I could really use some help.
>
>   Before I begin, I would just like to say that I am a newbie when it comes
> to the Apache webserver, Tomcat, Java, JSP and to some respects Linux.
>
> I am trying to get a good clean grasp as to what I have to have installed
> and working in order to use JSP and Servlets.
>
> I am running Mandrake 8.0, Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.19
> mod_ssl/2.8.2 OpenSSL/0.9.6 PHP/4.0.4pl1.
>
> I downloaded...
>
> J2SDK1.3.1
> Tomcat 3.2.2
> Java servlet (was in the same directory where I downloaded Tomcat from, I
> assumed I needed it as well.)
> JRE (Can't quite get it to run with Mozilla)
>
> It was my understanding that the JavaSDK needed to be installed as well. So
> I downloaded it and installed it. I set it up so that all users could
> execute Java. I modified my path in /etc/profile so all users have access.
> However, when I log in as root, the path to the Java directory is not there.
> What have I missed?

Perhaps you should edit your ~/.bashrc file...;-)

> Also, I have installed Tomcat 3.2.2 and when I try to start it, it fails
> because I try to start it as root and since the Java dir is not in the path
> it cannot start. How can I fix this?

Just manually set it in the startup and shutdown scripts.... i.e.
JAVA_HOME=/where/ever/jdk1.3.1
And your tomcat home...;-)

Cheers,

John Clark
--
     /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez                           (\
    / )    Software Design Engineer II                       ( \