tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Charles Baker <raschar...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: web.xml not working
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2001 17:55:44 GMT
Here is a servlet definition from my web.xml file:

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>
        </servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
            com.beeslender.servlets.LoginServlet
        </servlet-class>
        <servlet-mapping>
            <servlet-name>
            </servlet-name>
            <url-pattern>
            </url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>
    </servlet>

Notice that <servlet-mapping> is a child of <servlet>.
Also, did you create your servlets as part of a
package? If so, you need a directory structure under
$TOMCAT_HOME/sampleapp/WEB-INF/classes that matches
your package. For example,

$TOMCAT_HOME/sampleapp/WEB-INF/classes/com/beeslender/servlets

That's where the *.class files would go.

--- Erin Lester <eclester@student.math.uwaterloo.ca>
wrote:
> I have created a web application as per the Servlet
> API specs and deployed
> it into the webapps directory of Tomcat in a
> directory called 'sampleapp.'
>
> The only way that I am able to access the webapp's
> servlet (which is in
> sampleapp/WEB-INF/classes) is by the url
> 'SERVERADDRESS/sampleapp/servlet/SERVLETNAME' and
> this is only when I
> don't have a web.xml file in the WEB-INF directory.
> When I place the
> web.xml file that I created (using to the documents
> on the Sun and
> Jakarta sites) I am unable to find my servlet.
>
> The servlet mapping in the web.xml file looks like
> this:
>
> 	<servlet>
> 		<servlet-name>StoryGeneratorServlet</servlet-name>
>
> 		<servlet-class>StoryGenerator</servlet-class>
> 	</servlet>
>
> 	<servlet-mapping>
> 		<servlet-name>StoryGeneratorServlet</servlet-name>
>
> 		<url-pattern>/story</url-pattern>
> 	</servlet-mapping>
>
> I tried using the urls
> 'SERVERNAME/sampleapp/servlet/story' and
> 'SERVERNAME/sampleapp/story'
>
> I also tried to install the J2EE sample 'petstore'
> web application but had
> problems accessing the servlets with it too.  I am
> able to get to the jsps
> and static files okay.
>
> Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
>
> Thanks!
> Erin
>
> PS - I'm using Tomcat 3.2 with Apache 1.3 on Sun 2.7

=====
-
rascharles@yahoo.com
Hacking is a "Good Thing!"