tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Charles Baker <>
Subject Re: Newbie Contexts
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2001 21:06:04 GMT
You might want to take a look in the configuration
file $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml at the sections that
define the contexts. The path is sort of from the
docroot of your websererver like "/admin" if you want
to access the admin context as
"", the documentation says
it is relative to the context manager's location. The
document base is usually, but not always a directory
that is relative to your $TOMCAT_HOME directory such
as "webapps/admin" and yes the context name can be
whatever you choose as long as it is not already in
use on your server.

Most of this info is available online at:
--- Mark Senefsky <> wrote:
> Greetings all...
> OK I think the solution to my previous email "Newbie
> Help (the sequel)" is
> related to contexts. Currently the only context for
> my server points to the
> examples directory.
> How do I establish new Contexts?
> Using Tomcat admin what goes in each of these
> inputs?
> Document Base: (no clue.)
> Context Name: (whatever I choose?)
> Thanks,