tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Charles Baker <>
Subject URL encoding and ';' rather than '?'
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2001 09:31:41 GMT
I've been browsing the archives but still haven't seen
what I'm looking for. Why does Tomcat use ';' rather
than '?' when an URL gets encoded?

URL = "http://my.domain/some_form.htm";

Yeilds an url like this:

and a 404 not found error.

I use JRun at work because my company is predjudiced
against free software, and it uses the '?' to separate
the url and the query string which I thought was
standard. BTW, I'm using Tomcat 3.2.1 and Apache
1.3.14 on Mandrake 7.2. I saw some workarounds posted
to the list, but I'm curious as to why Tomcat behaves
this way. Does either 3.2.2, 3.3 or 4.0 do things
differently? I know 4.0 is the cutting or perhaps
bleeding edge, but is 3.3  mostly stable though it
hasn't been through beta testing yet?

Hacking is a "Good Thing!"

Do You Yahoo!?
a year!