tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Sand" <rs...@vgalleries.com>
Subject bizarre page flushing situation
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:33:49 GMT
Hi all- I've got the following somewhat whacky setup which Tomcat refuses to
handle.  It involves custom tags and included JSP pages.  My tomcat is 3.2.2
on W2K running native (i.e. no external web server).

At the bottom of all of my JSP pages I include a JSP footer as follows:

<%@ include file="/footer.jsp" %>

Inside footer.jsp, I display a footer that is customized to whether the user
is logged in, which is determined by custom tags.  Footer.jsp looks as
follows:

<ipa:ifUserLoggedIn>
   <jsp:include page="/footers/logged_in.html" flush="true"/>
</ipa:ifUserLoggedIn>

<ipa:ifUserNotLoggedIn>
   <jsp:include page="/footers/not_logged_in.html" flush="true"/>
</ipa:ifUserNotLoggedIn>

So here's the problem: I get the exception:

 java.io.IOException: Illegal to flush within a custom tag

but ONLY when I use those particular custom tags inside the footer.  If I
use them in the main jsp pages they work fine.

I also tried removing the flush=true, but tomcat replies:

org.apache.jasper.compiler.CompileException: ... jsp:include needs to have
"flush=true"

On other application servers, I didn't have the flush=true and they worked
fine.

Lastly, the doAfterBody of the tags is very basic:

 try {
  // write the body and return SKIP_BODY
  bodyContent.writeOut(bodyContent.getEnclosingWriter());
  return SKIP_BODY;
 } catch (Exception e) {
  throw new JspException(e.toString());
 }