tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Brett M. Bergquist" <bbergqu...@snet.net>
Subject Re: Default web.xml
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:40:14 GMT
In tomcat 3.2.x, the "web.xml" in the conf directory is not used at all.  I
fact, you can completely remove it with no ill effects.  Internally, Tomcat
3.2.x compiles in some defaults; mime mappings, the JSP servlet mapping,
etc.  In your application's "web.xml" specify anything that you need too
override the defaults.  I believe I read the Tomcat 4.0 will once again have
a default "web.xml".  I'm not sure about Tomcat 3.3, however.  Check the
Tomcat mailing list archives for more info

----- Original Message -----
From: Timothy Shadel <shadeltd@mtc.byu.edu>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 3:07 PM
Subject: Default web.xml

> I have a quick question about how the default web.xml found in the conf
directory is supposed to act.  The Tomcat User's guide says it acts as a
default web.xml for all web applications.  I tried to add the following to
it:

>     <servlet-mapping>  <!-- This was there by default -->
>         <servlet-name>
>             jsp
>         </servlet-name>
>         <url-pattern>
>             *.jsp
>         </url-pattern>
>     </servlet-mapping>
>     <servlet-mapping>  <!-- I added this -->
>         <servlet-name>
>             jsp
>         </servlet-name>
>         <url-pattern>
>             *.tem
>         </url-pattern>
>     </servlet-mapping>
>
> because we wanted to logically separate our JSP files used as templates
from those providing major content.  However, accessing a valid JSP file
that's been renamed with a .tem extension returns only the actual file
contents instead of being translated as a JSP.  The same <servlet-mapping>
tag works perfectly in an application's web.xml.  Am I supposed to be able
to modify the web.xml in the conf directory and have it affect all
applications, or is it only supposed to work with the one that comes with
Tomcat by default?