tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Simon Brooke <si...@beesianum.jasmine.org.uk>
Subject Re: [Tomcat Documentation Redactors]
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:07:22 GMT
On Friday 29 June 2001 08:41, you wrote:
> >	Not to get into a great big argument over OS version commercial
> >products, but if OS projects expect to be taken with the same
> >consideration
> >as commercial they have to accept to be compared across the board.
> > This includes documentation. You can't just pick and choose the
> >battles you want
> >to fight.
>
> Could we close this thread positively ?
>
> We all know that tomcat documentation is incomplete and we need help
> in that area.

This is a good idea. I don't know how much I would be able to
contribute, because there must be plenty of people with more expertise
than I have. However, If someone could draft a 'contents', then
probably different people could pick different aspects and write about
them, in which case I could probably contribute something useful about
installing and configuring webapps.

Two ways we could go - the 'Tutorial' or 'User Manual' route which
might go something like

	Introduction
	Overview
	Downloading and Installing
	Configuring
		Integration with Apache
		Integration with IIS
	Deploying Webapps
	Advanced Administration
		Load balancing
		Performance tuning
	Hacker's Guide

Or else we could as a set of HOWTOs. On the whole I prefer the HOWTO
approach because

	It needs less central co-ordination and administration
	It needs less editing - one doesn't need so much consistency
		of style
	It's easier to find the specific bit of documentation you need
	It's task and solution oriented.

			-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --