tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jason_Henrik...@providian.com
Subject JSP re-compile performance under heavy load
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 22:01:35 GMT

I am considering a design where a thread calls a  long running query, uses
the results to generate a JSP and then write the new JSP over the old JSP.
Tomcat would then notice the update, recompile the JSP and display the new
query results.  The query/rewrite would happen once every 10 minutes.  The
query could take up to a minute to run.

Will tomcat do this acceptably if the server is under heavy load?  If this
would create a performance/memory problem, is there anything in my code
that could be done to minimize it?  Is there any help I could provide in
the Tomcat code to optimize this?  (I've never coded anything for Tomcat,
but I'd love an excuse to get involved)

I know that JSP re-compilation is not generally used as a production
feature.  Could it be reasonably used this way, or am I better off to
examine another avenue?  (Such as holding the results in memory and
re-printing them for each request, which would be memory prohibitive)

Thanks,
                                                   Jason Henriksen

Warning : The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and
protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to this message and then delete it from your computer. All e-mail
sent to this address will be received by the Providian Financial corporate e-mail system and
is subject to archiving and review by someone other than the recipient.