tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Fred Huelsbeck <Fred.Huelsb...@merant.com>
Subject RE: Apache w/ HTTPS - connection problems
Date Mon, 28 May 2001 14:07:36 GMT
Well, now you need to open the SSL port, 443.  If your goal is to allow only
SSL access inside the firewall you will need to close port 80 from S1 to S2.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shiv Kumar [mailto:n_shivkumar@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 11:25 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Apache w/ HTTPS - connection problems

Hi all again,

While this problem was solved (the Apache on S2 was not listening to port
80!), I have another problem :(

The Servlet on S1 is invoked as https://S1/MyServlet/MyAction?myParam=1. The
doGet() method of the servlet opens an URLConnection to
http://S2/cgi-bin/mycgi.exe?myParam=1. The CGI may return a HTML page or PDF
document based on myParam.

The following observations are made :

When the servlet on S2 tries to get a HTML page returned by the CGI program
on S2, it works fine.

When it tries to get a PDF document from S2, the following happens :-

  1. On IE, with Acrobat Web Integration On, it says

          "Internet Explorer cannot download
          https://S1/MyServlet/MyAction?myParam=1 from myserver.domain.com.
          Internet Explorer was not able to open this internet site. The
          requested site is either unavailable or can not be found. Please
          try again later."

  2. On IE, with Acrobat Web Integration Off, it behaves the same was as in
     #1.
  3. On Netscape, with Acrobat Web Integration On, it displays a blank page.
     On the servlet side I could notice that the doGet() method is called
     twice !!
  4. On Netscape, with Acrobat Web Integration off, it successfully opens
     the PDF file :)

Netscape - verson 4.74
IE - version 5.50.4522.1800

As I noted in my earlier mail, everything works fine if connection to S1 is
HTTP instead of HTTPS.

Thanks for any help.
--
shiv
n_shivkumar@yahoo.com

Shiv Kumar wrote:

> Hi all
>
> This is a problem Im facing with Apache + Mod_SSL (for HTTPS).
>
> Consider this scenario :
>
>                          |-|
>                          |-|
>             +---------+  |-|       +---------+
>             | A  |  T |  |-|       | A  |    |
>             | p  |  o |  |-|       | p  |  C |
>      HTTPS  | a  |  m |  |-| HTTP  | a  |  G |
>     ------->| c  |  c |--|-|------>| c  |  I |
>             | h  |  a |  |-|       | h  |    |
>             | e  |  t |  |-|       | e  |    |
>             +---------+  |-|       +---------+
>                          |-|
>                 S1       |-|           S2
>                          |-|
>                        Firewall
>
> When the servlet on S1 tries the following :
>
>     URL url = new URL("http://S2/cgi-bin/mycgi.exe");
>     URLConnection conn = url.openConnection();
>     InputStream in = conn.getInputStream(); <==== FAILS HERE
>
> The exception is :
> java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: no further information
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:312)
>         at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:125)
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection

sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLCon