tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ralph Einfeldt <ralph.einfe...@uptime-isc.de>
Subject AW: Why Use apache
Date Thu, 03 May 2001 09:26:07 GMT
Your proposal has some drawbacks, just some of them:

- You loose a common access log for all request to the site
- If your side needs authentication you have to do it twice.
  You have to setup apache and tomcat to do the authentication
  and the users will have to logon twice.
- You will lock out users who are behind a firewall that
  denies HTTP request on other ports than 80 (that's quite
  common)
- Quite some overhead for the development to set all links
  right
- You can't use apache features for dynamic content.
  (like mod_gzip, mod_rewrite, mod_)