tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ralph Einfeldt <ralph.einfe...@uptime-isc.de>
Subject AW: Why Use apache
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 17:20:07 GMT
There are some things to add:

- tomcat has to run as root to use a privileged
  port (like 80). Apache just opens the port as
  root and spawns children under a different
  user id that process the requests.

- there are several modules around that only
  exist for apache (Like mod_gzip, mod_zlog)

- tomcat doesn't support Frontpage Server
  Extensions (Or other CGI-Packages)
  (Please no flames, I'm not using it, but
   some of our customers)

Summary from previous posts:
- tomcat access logging is not standard
- apache will be faster in serving static content
- apache will be faster in 'speaking' http
- apache 'speaks' HTTP 1.1, tomcat 3.x speaks only 1.0
- apache is more stable
- apache is more secure