tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christian Hargraves <CHargra...@webmiles.com>
Subject RE: Install problems in FreeBSD 4.2
Date Thu, 24 May 2001 14:54:54 GMT
You are using the jdk1.3 from Linux on FreeBSD? So then you are running it
through the Linux Kernel emulator?

Are you trying to compile tomcat from the source? If you have your env
variables, it should work fine "out of the box".  JAVA_HOME, TOMCAT_HOME,
and might as well set ANT_HOME as well. I haven't done it on FreeBSD before,
but I have done it on Solaris, most Micro$oft products and Linux. The steps
are always the same.

PS

you wouldn't have happened to have lived in Lolo, MT a long time ago..

Christian Hargraves

-----Original Message-----
From: Lance Hill [mailto:lancemhill@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001 8:20 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Install problems in FreeBSD 4.2

Hi,

I recently downloaded and installed jdk1.3.0_02 on a FreeBSD system. I
followed the instructions included with the jakarta-tomcat README which
indicated that I needed to set an environment variable of
JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.3.0_02 and add $JAVA_HOME/bin to the PATH. The
instructions indicate that I should set the CLASSPATH if needed, but I do
not know if it is needed, or what it should be set to. When I try to run
./bootstrap.sh for jakarta-ant (install instructions for tomcat say it is
next step in setup of tomcat) I get:

/usr/local/jdk1.3.0_02/bin/java: /usr/bin/expr: not found
Error: can't find libjava.so.

The same messages pops up if I try to run ./build.sh for tomcat without
first installing ant.

The jdk was installed from j2sdk-1_3_1-linux-i386.bin.

How do I get past this error message to the next error message?

I have been unable to find documentation for setting this up in FreeBSD, so
if someone can point me in the direction of some, I would greatly appreciate

it.

Thanks.