tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sean Pritchard <>
Subject RE: Developing on a different platform from production
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 18:01:13 GMT
I have been developing and testing on NT and then deploying on Solaris
(after brief sanity testing).  All the challenges I have encountered have
been configuration related.  Things like getting the classpath right and
making sure tomcat had proper permissions on necessary files.  The app
behaved the same on both platforms.

Sean Pritchard
(919) 941-4201
fax (919) 941-4188
facilis venire, facilis exire

-----Original Message-----
From: Penberthy, Bill []
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 10:55 AM
To: Tomcat Users List (E-mail)
Subject: Developing on a different platform from production

Generally, we try to to develop and test on the same platforms (Solaris)
that we will be deploying on - but I am curious as to whether that is really
necessary.  Has anyone ran into issues of developing and testing on one
platform and deploying on another?  I would like to put some Linux machines
out there (a bit cheaper...) for development and testing - but am wondering
if this could cause problems as we deploy onto the Sunboxes.  Your thoughts,
experiences, and comments would be welcome.

Bill Penberthy
Sr. Functional Architect

View raw message