tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sean Pritchard <spritch...@buildnet.com>
Subject RE: Developing on a different platform from production
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 18:01:13 GMT
I have been developing and testing on NT and then deploying on Solaris
(after brief sanity testing).  All the challenges I have encountered have
been configuration related.  Things like getting the classpath right and
making sure tomcat had proper permissions on necessary files.  The app
behaved the same on both platforms.

____________________
Sean Pritchard
spritchard@buildnet.com
(919) 941-4201
fax (919) 941-4188
facilis venire, facilis exire

-----Original Message-----
From: Penberthy, Bill [mailto:BPenberthy@IQNavigator.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 10:55 AM
To: Tomcat Users List (E-mail)
Subject: Developing on a different platform from production

Generally, we try to to develop and test on the same platforms (Solaris)
that we will be deploying on - but I am curious as to whether that is really
necessary.  Has anyone ran into issues of developing and testing on one
platform and deploying on another?  I would like to put some Linux machines
out there (a bit cheaper...) for development and testing - but am wondering
if this could cause problems as we deploy onto the Sunboxes.  Your thoughts,
experiences, and comments would be welcome.

Thanks!

Bill Penberthy
Sr. Functional Architect
IQNavigator