tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ben Ricker <bric...@us-rx.com>
Subject Re: Developing on a different platform from production
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 18:47:14 GMT
It depends on what you mean by 'test'. If you are doing load testing,
then obviously this will not do as the platform and OS can dictate
performance. Also, there are differing problems in the jdks based on
platform: Sun jdk w/Hotspot has had some problems lately which do not
crop up on the other jdks (Sun's jdk is usually ahead of Linux's, or so
I have noticed. 1.3 was in beta well after 1.3 was released for Sun).

However, if you are just talking about functional testing, I think going
to a Linux box is Ok.

Btw, have you seen the new Netra series of Sun boxes? They are damn
cheap and may be an alternative to Linux. I myself suport a web app that
runs on Linux is production but will move to a Linux/Sun load balanced
solution soon.

Ben Ricker
System Administrator
Wellinx.com