tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wolle <wo...@dorf.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Subject My growing memory problem resolved
Date Mon, 07 May 2001 01:45:55 GMT
Hello ,
i have posted for a few day's a problem thats the Memory usage will
extremly grow up when I refresh a page very often
The Problem was, that I creat a "heavy memory" Object on each refresh.
Normally I have 81 processes run at all, when execute the "stress-test"
the processcount will rise till ~ 230. And each new Prcoesses will creat
a new Object.
When I stop the stress-test, the processcount becomes normal (~ 100) ,
but the memory usage won't fall.
But the new created Object have now refernces that points to them.
But why they don't becomes free ???? My code is somthing like this:

public class servlet1 extends HttpServlet{
    ..
..
..
  public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request,HttpServletResponse
response)
                              throws IOException{
        try{
           HeavyObject ho = new HeavyObject();
        }
        finally{
           ho = null; // for testing implementet, but this gives the
memory not free, also
        }

  }
}

Is this a Bug in Tomcat ? Or is it a Bug from me ? Or som Java
misunderstood ?
Why will the Object not becomes free, when some of the Threads will be
closed ,
and the only reference is in the closed Thread ?

Greetings,
Michael