tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tony Armstrong <tarmstr...@bcgas.com>
Subject RE: Why Use apache
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 18:04:26 GMT
These questions seem to come up a bit. The answer to which server(s) to use
really depends on the situation you are in  e.g.:

1. You want to develop and test JSPs/servlets for yourself - Tomcat is fine,
you do not need to have another server.
2. You already have a production server e.g. IIS and want to add
JSPs/servlets and use Tomcat - well you would have to have a real strong
business case to change from IIS to Apache or another server
3. You have a business plan that incorporates a web server serving static
pages - high load, and has dynamic pages based on JSPs/servlets. This is
probably the hardest decision as it involves many aspects i.e. company
policy, current hardware etc

So the first thing to do is assess your needs, what do you really want. From
this you can narrow down the different scenarios.

One thing to remember, just because apache/tomcat are free (which is great)
there is always a cost involved.