tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "DENIZ DEMIR" <de...@yfas.com.tr>
Subject Re: performance problem - too many processes
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 14:12:21 GMT
Hi Saurabh,

Thank you for your advise, we will make these change now, but I want to ask
some question and answer your questions first.

> You can try the following things to make tomcat faster.
>
> 1) keep the log level low.

in server.xml file of tomcat or httpd.conf? do you mean "error" parameter
for low logging?

> 2) Set reloadable=false(Disable Servlet Auto-Reloading ) As it is very
> expensive.

do you mean the following parameter from server.xml

        <Context path="/"
                 docBase="/var/www/html"
                 crossContext="false"
                 debug="0"
                 reloadable="true" >
        </Context>

> 3) Configure PoolTcpConnector depending on the number of
requests/load.(this
> should help a lot).

First, We are a brokerage firm and approximately 1000 different customers
use our internet branch, and I guess 100 user at most use the web branche
simultaneously. what do you think about parameters for Pooling?
(max_threads, mx_spare_servers, min_spare_servers).

But now, the system has too many processes, when I look at with top or ps
commands.

> Can u tell how much RAM or perecntage of RAM are tomcat's processess using
?

I do not know, how can I see?

> 4) Give more RAM to tomcat.(if i am right the default setting is for
64MB).
> So even though you would be having 256 MB RAM but then u might not be
using
> it optimally.

I do not know how to make this change. But Now system runs under heavy
memory load now, I mean that the system uses some swap memory when the
server has heavy load (when it has about 400 processes, it has 3-5M free
memory, and uses 5-6M swap memory).

> Even i had similar problems, and tomcat's performance had improoved a lot
> after working on the
> above mentioned points.

this is very critical for us, if you help me it is very appreciated.

Thanks a lot again, and I am waiting for your reply.

Regards,
Deniz Demir.