tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "DENIZ DEMIR" <de...@yfas.com.tr>
Subject performance problem - too many processes
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 13:01:09 GMT
Hi,

I have setup a web server with following configuration:

    - Redhat 7.0 - Kernel 2.2.16-22, PIII 650, 256M Ram
    - Tomcat 3.2.1
    - Apache 1.3.19
    - mod_jk
    - Inprise Application server for EJBs

and the server has two SSL acceleration cards, and mod-ssl module for
apache.

I have configured the apache to use mod_jk and Ajp13 protocol, and I have
left the default parameters for PoolTcpConnector.
and the http.conf has the following parameters:

    MaxKeepAliveRequests 0
    MinSpareServers 16
    MaxSpareServers 64
    StartServers 20
    MaxClients 250
    MaxRequestPerChild 100000

When I make the server up, I see there are 100+ processes initially (apprx.
~130), and in the load intervals it has near 400 process, why it has too
many processes? is there any idea?

Our old system has Apache JServ for JSP/Servlet and it runs much more
efficient than tomcat, and much less processes were avaliable in the system
at that time.

Response time of server was decreased very much. can anybody say me what the
reasons of this situation is, or where I am wrong, what I should do?

I am waiting for your comments and ideas and solutions if any.

Regards,
Deniz Demir.