tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Theodore Andreadis" <and...@hnms.gr>
Date Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:41:43 GMT
******************* In Linux:

I run experimentally Tomcat my pc, under redHat7. I start Tomcat in rc5.d
(only) with the
script command:

start() {
 daemon `cat /opt/tomcat/bin/start.txt`&

where start.txt contains the line:
  java -cp /opt/tomcat/lib/ -Dtomcat.home=/opt/tomcat/ -Djava.home=/opt/java
org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat

(I have expanded the jars in lib) and works just fine, except that:

even as an ordinary user I can shut it down running the
  java -cp /opt/tomcat/lib/ -Dtomcat.home=/opt/tomcat
org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat -stop

What am I doing wrong? How can I enable only root to shutdown Tomcat?

******************* In Server 2000:

I run the startup.bat as a system service, under SYSTEM account (using a
resource toolkit
utility that adds the registry instruction in the registry, to run a program
as a service)
The problem is that although Tomcat starts at system boot, it stops when the
first log off
is performed (under any account). Is there a way to prevent this?