tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joe Laffey <...@laffeycomputer.com>
Subject Re: hashtables in session
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 15:10:45 GMT
On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Bo Xu wrote:

> teh j wrote:
>
> > Hi guys
> >
> > just wondering if it was possible to store Hashtable
> > objects in the implicit session object?
> >
> > thanks
> > Jason
> > [...]
>
> Hi :-) I remember I have seen several emails in Servlet-List about it,
> it is possible, and I remember perhaps it is better to make all the key-value
> object Serializable, and perhaps it is better to notice which classloader loads
> those object.

That's right: You can store ANY object in the session object if you need
to. These object are required to be serializable (implement
java.io.Serializable), though most servlet engines will let you slide
without this. However, it is a very bad idea to have any session object,
especially a large one, not serializable.

Joe Laffey
LAFFEY Computer Imaging
St. Louis, MO
Need to do multi-file string replacement in Un*x, but don't want to mess
with sed? Try rpl. It's a free text replacement utility with source.
http://www.laffeycomputer.com/rpl.html  -- Check it out!