tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: Session problem -- sessions being recreated, browser related?
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 22:23:01 GMT
On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Jeff Kilbride wrote:

> Hi Milt,
>
> Are you using ajp12 or ajp13 as your connector protocol? Apparently,
> ajp13 has known bugs that cause dropped sessions.
>
> I got this from Mike Slinn after visiting his site
> (http://tomcat.mslinn.com) and noticing that he said "Tomcat v3.2.1
> works better with this [AJP12] connector than with AJP13" in his
> server.xml explanation. I sent him an email to ask him why and he
> replied "ajp13 has bugs that cause dropped sessions."
>
> If this is true, I'm surprised it's not more widely known. The docs
> talk about ajp13 being much faster due to it's connection re-use, so
> obviously it was my first choice. I'm not using sessions anywhere,
> yet, but if I do I'm going to implement ajp12 instead of ajp13. I'd
> be really interested to find out if this is the cause of your
> problems.

Thanks for the response.  I'm using mod_jserv, which means ajp12
(ajp13 is only available with mod_jk).  So I guess that can't be the
cause of my problems.

I don't think it's anything so complicated as dropped sessions.  I
think it just has something to do with the cookie handling that is
getting screwed up.  Like apache/tomcat not getting the session cookie
back, so it thinks there's no session.  (And recall that this is
something that was apparently working fine a few weeks ago when we
were using NES/ServletExec, so that restricts how general a problem
this is somewhat.)